Sunday, May 2, 2010

Re-evaluation

Well I think it is about that time now that I re-evaluate my attempts to reduce my ecological footprint. I have been doing pretty well in the areas of unplugging appliances, and minimizing the amount of electrical equipments that all of my roommates and I use. The most difficult goal I am still having trouble meeting is reducing the number of laundry loads per week. I have however attempted to do wash in cold water. It is pretty interesting, because now these are becoming more of a habit, rather than having to make little "sticky notes" as a reminder.

Through all of this, I think I have another goal to reduce my footprint. It is one that sort of ties in with the reduction of using electrical appliances, but I noticed that almost all of my roommates, including myself sleeps with a mini fan on at night. Some use it to drown out potential noise and some use it to make their rooms cooler. I think I might try to talk to them to see if now that the weather is nice, if we can open windows at night instead of having 5 mini fans running 7 - 8 hours on average, 7 days a week. It might be difficult, but what I have learned in taking this sustainability class is that people need to be educated first and from there, making changes really is not that difficult. I think I am going to try to give my input to my roommates and hopefully help make a difference.

Another goal I think that would be easily achievable is to switch to green energy on my Puget Sound Energy bill. I think that adding $10 more dollars to our monthly bill would not be too bad, considering dividing that by 5 would not be too difficult for us college girls.

So overall, so far so good. I think I am on the road to sustainability, and I just need to take my goals one at a time and make it become a daily habit rather than being forced to do something I have never done before.

No comments:

Post a Comment